Monday, February 14, 2011

Oddisee & Toine - Different Now


When I first started producing, workspace & hardware were top priorities. The beat machine, the gear, the table, the chair, all involved in the success of my work. Friends & artists alike would frequent my studio to hangout, socialize & sometimes work. If it were the 1800's my studio would have been a parlor, general store & burlesque rolled in one, tucked neatly in my mothers basement. Over time, I became dependent on my workspace to create. I needed all of my out board gear, play station games & hot pockets to make dope beats & rhymes. Then something happened, I received an email from Aries, a singer song writer duo out of Philly. We had been working on new material & I reached out to them to see when our next session would be. Their response, "can you just send the session?" I sat in my studio pub taking shots of orange juice asking saying to my self, "send the session, what does this mean?" Clearly they know I have to come to Philly with my beat machine & track it out? That's when it hit me, technology was changing the way music was being made. It had always done so & it wasn't about to stop for me. I took a trip to my local pro audio store & began to ask stupid questions that were met with smug answers.

Me - "excuse me sir, what do I need to send a session"
Stereo typical guy working at Guitar Center - "you're in the work section, this is acoustic guitars. You need to be in electronics" (but you guys know how he said it)

Lucky for me there was a younger guy working there who knew just what I was after. He was the Dalai Lama at the top of pro audio mountain. He & only he could answer my question, what is the meaning of sending a session? Him with his knowledge of all things audio quickly answered. "You need a computer, make sure it's a mac. (the beginning of my apple snobbery) You need Pro-Tools & a digital interface." (the standard at that time) Among all the other things I needed, I cracked my lamb bank (no swine son) & made the purchase of a life time.

It's now 2011, I now make music music, record, mix, handle administrative work, bull sh*t on social networks, watch movies & TV exclusively on my mac book pro. The best part about it is, I'm doing that on the tour bus, train, plane, on the beach & even in bed. Whether I'm in London, LA, NY, DC or anywhere else, If I get the call... I can send the session.

Look for Oddisee's new MMG album "People Hear What They See" later this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment